Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Facebook

literally Facebook. lol!

Ok, who doesn't have a Facebook account? The last time I checked, it has reached 1 billion membership and counting. Way to go Facebook owners and developers! I can imagine you're laughing your way to the bank!

At first, when I opened a Facebook account a couple of years ago, I was stumped. I find it better and more interesting than Friendster. It's more interactive because you can post in the Wall of your FB friends, tag pictures and so forth.

The best thing about Facebook is that it reconnected old friends, schoolmates, classmates, relatives, families, regardless of distance. I've seen a lot of reunions, re-connections and been a witness myself to this wonderful event called reunion which puts a smile in everyone face. I, for one, met my long time buddy in school after more than 20 years.

But Facebook to me is like a macro-Twitter because some of my FB friends literally post every move they make!

So I'm dumbfounded. Do you really have to report mundane things every time? Worse, it gets to be annoying because he posts the same activity over and over. Good thing, he doesn't run out of comments from his FB friends or maybe they are just too polite to ignore his oft-repeated activity. So that's the downside of FB to me. Facebook is all about I, me, myself - it promotes selfishness to the highest level in more ways than one.

Anyway, is Facebook here to stay?

I think so and it will only get better over time with more and better features I guess.

These are the signs of the times and I'm not doing this because it's the "in" thing but because it's a necessity to keep up with old friends and relatives. Besides, you get added benefits by gaining new friends and other updates around the world that might interest you.

So thank you Facebook. You have definitely changed the world in more ways than one.