Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Jackie Chan

When you rose into fame, I never liked you.

When I was a kid, I idolized Bruce Lee. As far as I can remember, when Bruce Lee died, you rose to fame. Because to my mind, the world back then was searching for someone to fill the shoes of Bruce Lee.

But you were a far cry from my idol even if both of you trace your roots in Hong Kong. I find your antics corny at best.

But your fame continued across the globe through the 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s to the present.



Until I watched Karate Kid 2. I began to like you after that. Your character was more serious which suits to my taste as I'm having a hard time reconciling a martial artist with being a clown or a comedian at the same time.

Fast forward to the recent current events in the Philippines where 8 HK tourists died in a failed hostage-rescue attempt by the Manila police.

Outrage swept across the globe. The blame game were quick to point at the Philippine authorities from P-Noy to the SWAT team to the media.

Then came your admonition to the Filipino people via your Twitter account that Filipinos should not be hated for this incident. And for this even some of your countrymen castigated you for this most unwelcome comment from someone of your stature.

You provided a great deal of relief to us Filipinos.

Thank you for being understanding and for treating this as an isolated case and not to be used against the Filipinos in general.

So it's ok not to like you in the beginning. What matters is that at the end of the day, you have my respect.

I liked you after Karate Kid 2 and I admire you all the more for your kindness to the Filipino people.

Thank you Jackie Chan.

I am now your fan.