Sunday, October 24, 2010

Like a thief in the night

It came like a thief in the night. Just like Jesus, who warned of the end of the world in the coming days, death is something like a thief in the night.

You never know when your time will come.

You always thought that you are still young, alive and full of energy, but you're not even sure what tomorrow will bring. Your life can be taken just like that.

Indeed, life is short. As Billy Graham would say, the greatest surprise of his life was to discover the brevity of life.

Now, I am writing this piece because of a neighbor who just died. You wouldn't have any inkling that his days are numbered. I even get to talk to him lately because he has a store and this neighbor supplies our daily newspaper. I heard that he had an aneurysm attack where the artery in his brain ruptured. I heard that it will cost a million to operate on him and since it costs a fortune, his family decided to transfer him to a less expensive but adequate hospital. Two days passed and we thought that he will recover. But just this morning, I heard that this neighbor expired.

Which led me to think and reflect again on the brevity of life and with the way death can come to you without giving you any clue at all.

No one knows the day or the hour as Jesus claimed in the Bible. Sometimes, I interpret this to mean as death and not necessarily as the end of the world. But this is not to say that I don't believe in the Second Coming.

My point is this: whether it's the Second Coming or death, each one of us have to be prepared.

So, are you ready?