Thursday, October 21, 2010

Maid in the Philippines

Pastor Rick Warren once visited the Philippines. He referred to the OFWs as the modern day Joseph.

Joseph, in the Old Testament Bible, is the son of Jacob, who was sold as a slave by his brothers to the home of the Egyptian Pharaoh. By God's plan, he rose eventually to be the Pharaoh's trusted right man, who eventually saved his own family, when drought befell the land.

But I am digressing.

The Philippines, to some nations like Singapore, see us as a nation of people who cleans their toilet. How flattering can that be?

In the US, I heard you do everything on your own. From household chores to everything. That's why, life here in the Philippines is much better because you can afford to hire maids and let them do the nitty gritty household chores.

My mother has been very kind to every househelp who worked and stayed with us that's why my mother is very dear to them. Occasionally, some of them still visits or call or text my mother to catch up on everything that's happening at home.

There was a time that we did not have a maid for months and that forced me to wake up early and do the cooking and the morning preparations. It was a blessing in disguise actually because I learned to cook somehow and became domesticated.

But God is good. There's always the perfect timing.

Now he blessed us with a new househelp and hopefully, she will be staying for the long term.

Thank God for providing us help for we sorely lack manpower in the household.

Now I can focus on my work!