Sunday, October 31, 2010

Praying for the Dead

Today is All Saints' Day and I remember our dead - our departed loved ones beginning with my lolo, lola, nay, tatay, tito v, tito d, tita c, tito r, tita e, tito p, and the rest of our departed relatives.

This morning, we lighted exactly 10 candles as our way of remembering them.

But I stopped short of praying for them. No disrespect to them but praying for them won't change where they are right now or where they will be.

Each of us has to stand before our Lord and Maker based on the life we live. It is not like we can live a holy or bad life and then at the point of our death, somebody will intercede for us, and God will forget everything and grant them entry in our behalf just because we prayed for them.

I hope people will realize this truth.

Just like when I delivered my eulogy in my father's wake: I said something like this: We cannot choose how we are going to die, but we can choose how we are going to live.

God will evaluate how we lived our life before He decides our fate or destiny.

May God help each one of us to go where we want to go.