Monday, April 4, 2011

Entrepreneurship and Cross-Selling

It's been a little over 10 years since I left the corporate world. And I must say that I have no regrets.


This is not to say that the path to entrepreneurship is smooth sailing. Far from it and definitely, far from over. And yet, the one good thing I relish in this self-employment status is you own your time. And if you value family time, then I highly recommend that you traverse this path of self-employment.


The thing is, it all begins with a paradigm shift. 


From all the things that you have become accustomed to, you just have to let go gradually all the things that were routine to you.


First, you've got to change your lifestyle. Yup, you have to be conscious of your expenses this time. Whereas, before you are lax since you look forward to your paycheck on a regular basis. 


Now, you have to do your numbers.


Second, it's all about doing what you're comfortable at. It helps if you already have a sense of familiarity with it and have to an extent some expertise with what you will do. 


Third, you must have build your network by this time. Through the years of corporate employment, you should have accummulated a good number of contacts. You'll never know when you're going to need them. That's one of the key realizations I had when I left the corporate world.


Nope. I did not establish my own business. But maybe, I'm getting there given a few more years.


But I'm thriving ever since. Because I chose the path of cross-selling.


Some say you need to have focus in order to be successful.


Maybe. But from experience, it can be done. Yeah, to each his own. What works for others may not necessarily for you. 


Bottomline, you need to find your comfort zone.


I first become a real estate broker. Then a life insurance agent (which I later dropped after determining my comfort zone). Followed by being a non-life insurance agent. Later, I expanded and became a mutual fund agent. And last but not the least, I am now a healthcare agent.


Now, imagine if all businesses are clicking on a regular basis. Take note. The keyword is on a regular basis. 


So what I'm saying is that some of these are seasonal, others more regular. And oh before I forget, I also dabbled in a reselling food. Wouldn't hurt when you earn a few hundred bucks just by retailing.


But again, I give credit where credit is due.


This is not about me.


This is God blessing me.


And this is my formula: S.T.D. which means S for "sipag" (industrious), T for "tiyaga" (perserverance) and D for "dasal" (prayer).


Combine all three into your work ethic and God will help you succeed in your endeavor.