Friday, April 15, 2011

Living to be 80

I'm in my mid-40s and I plan to live until 80.

This Bible verse stuck with me. It says:

The length of our days is seventy years - or eighty, if we have the strength;
yet their span is but trouble and sorrow, for they quickly pass, and we fly away. (Psalm 90:10)

So is this possible?

Who decides up to how long can a man live?

Is it up to God or do we control our destiny?

I believe that if we have a goal - we should work toward that goal. So how do I do it?

There are many ways to reach that goal but you have to be diligent about it.

First, I have to take care of my physical needs. By taking care of my physical needs, I have to balance my diet, maintain a regular exercise to keep myself fit and appropriate regular time for rest.

I am actually in tune with that. I also make it a point to go through a blood chemistry exam on a yearly basis - a preventive measure, just to make sure that my health is still within the normal limits and I won't be needing any medicaiton at all, as each year passes by.

Another area that I have to look at is the emotional aspect of my life. For sure, I need to have time for myself once in a while - it's literally to come apart, to go solo, to be on your own like gaining perspective. And to reinvigorate myself, I need to recreate. This can be done in the form of a hobby, sports or any other activity that takes you away from your routine. And maybe, once in a while, my body needs to cultivate a cheerful heart. I strongly believe that laughter is the best medicine. It's like all work, and no play. I need to humor myself or at least laugh with the people I meet.

Last but not the least (actually this could be the most important of all). I need to fine tune my spiritual life. I need to commune with God on a daily basis. And how do I do it? By starting the day with quiet time. A quiet time consists of reading the Scriptures, reflecting on the message God intended for you and praying to God. But no man is an island. I need to be a part of a small Group for a Christian without a small group is like a spiritual orphan. This way, it keeps you renewed whenever you meet up to fellowship with your small group members. Lest I might forget, I need to make this a weekly habit and that is, by attending Sunday worship - to meditate on God's message and to remind myself to set a time or day for God.

If I can commit to all these 3 habits, I believe that living to be 80 is attainable.

So I say, help me God but

Thy will be done.